Normal? Not.
The past few weeks have been a blur of activity here. The evening I returned home from my trip to NIBS, two friends from Indiana drove here to spend a week with me! That week was a work week on campus, followed by FBS's Anniversary Day, and then a cold but thrilling fall festival. After that came a week of sickness, followed by a catch-up week, and then ten days of revival services, one of which included quartet pictures and a lively election party! It seems that every Monday morning, I sigh and tell myself, "Now, maybe we can have a normal week!" But then something crazy happens, and there goes my hopes and dreams of normalcy!
I am reaching the conclusion that normal here is strange, and it's about time to get used to it! It's not just my schedule that's odd, either. My lifestyle here is simply very different from my lifestyle in Indiana. Here are some things that I'm accepting as normal and wonderful that may seem odd to you!
1. Coming back to my house after church or class to discover more than one young person running out of my front door with the cookies or baked goods they knew they'd find on my counter.
2. Having young people walk in my front door without knocking or texting first.
3. Cooking a meal for two people -- and serving it to four or five. Or alternatively, having someone come for dinner, and stay the night instead of going home. Or alternatively, inviting four people and having ten show up.
4. Having a young person ask me for help with a school project, and ending up with four or five young people studying around my table with drinks and snacks I whipped up.
5. Bribing Encouraging young people with coffee. Time to study? Whoever wins the quiet game gets a coffee! Need to organize an event? Whoever responds to this text message with the needed information gets a coffee. Asking a group to commit to an extra hour of rehearsals? Coffee. Help me clean my basement? Coffee. Very effective.
6. Singing in a men's quartet. I know. Strange. But I've pretty much learned all their parts because I've been teaching them their parts. It's a good thing too, since I'll actually be singing with them in an upcoming service.
7. Speaking for chapel or church with little to no notice (four times now, y'all. I need to just learn to have something ready to go.)
8. Squeezing a more than comfortable amount of people in my living room. My record is 21, which happened at the election party this past week. (Yes, I fed them.)
Ministry here looks different than I ever thought it would, but I'm absolutely loving this. Come visit me! You can experience my new normal with me.
Comments
Post a Comment