This is why I teach.
One of my girls has been doing her best to serve Jesus, and has truly been transformed this school year. She took the step of baptism and gave a public testimony of her love for the Lord. But the child also has very little impulse control. . . And it has been her downfall at times.
One blessed Thursday afternoon, during a recess period, two of my boys ran up to me to tell me that one of the girls punched them. After a short conversation with them, I called the girl over to talk to hear what she had to say. As she ran towards me, she yelled, “They started it!”
Guilty. Absolutely. She was sentenced accordingly, the situation was resolved, and I moved on. The next day, something about her was off. She was distracted and her papers reflected her disengagement with the lessons. I had an assistant in the classroom that day, which allowed me to take some extra time to sit and talk to my student.
I asked her some questions in an effort to see what was bothering her, and quickly discovered that she was still wrestling with guilt over the playground incident. “Miss Kruse, ever since I left my old life of sin, I’ve found it so hard to do the right thing! Sometimes, I feel like just giving up.”
“That’s why you’re struggling with things today, isn’t it?”
She nodded, tears forming in her eyes.
“Hand me your Bible,” I requested, and flipped in the pages to I John 1:9. “Read this for me.”
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” She looked up with questioning eyes.
“What does it mean to confess?” I asked.
“It means that we tell Jesus we were wrong and that we’re sorry.”
“That’s right! Last night, you confessed to your mom when she asked you about what happened. And your mom forgave you? And she still loves you, right? Well, have you told Jesus that you’re sorry?”
She nodded vigorously. “Yes I did!”
“Alright, then tell me what Jesus says He has done for you.”
“He has forgiven me and cleaned me from unrighteousness!”
I cannot explain the beauty of the moment. The Holy Spirit descended on that little girl as she understood and believed His Word. She suddenly came alive. Her eyes brightened, her brow softened, and she smiled.
“That’s right!” I shared another verse with her from the Psalms, encouraged her to spend some time talking to Jesus at her desk, and walked away to prepare for my next lessons. Ten minutes later, she was still there, feasting on His Word.
This is why I teach.
Comments
Post a Comment